10 of the best pubs along: Grand Union Canal, Braunston to Marsworth
- Credit: Martin Ludgate
Our guide to 10 of the best canalside pubs to visit on your journey down Grand Union canal, from Braunston to Marsworth. Read our full cruise guide to this stretch of the Grand Union Canal here!
We can confirm that all of these pubs have reopened following the relaxing of lockdown restrictions in spring 2021. However as details are still likely to change, especially in the current circumstances, you are advised to phone to be sure.
Admiral Nelson, Braunston.
By Lock 3.
Well-known canal pub with range of real ale, food from locally sourced ingredients, canalside seating, Northamptonshire skittles.
New Inn, Buckby.
By top lock.
Old pub (some parts pre-date the canal) but much altered over the years, real ale, food (inc Sunday roasts), waterside garden.
Narrow Boat, Weedon.
By Bridge 26.
Award winning restaurant and pub with real ale, outdoor patio and canalside garden.
By Bridge 36.
Modern pub and restaurant with reputation for good food, real ale from local brewers, garden.
Boat, Stoke Bruerne.
Above top lock.
Famous old thatched canal pub with small bar rooms and popular restaurant extension. Range of real ales, canalside seating
Barley Mow, Cosgrove.
Near Bridge 65.
Old fashioned village local with open fire and low beams, real ale, food and canalside garden. Open Wed to Sun.
- 1 Second-hand canal boats for sale
- 2 Weekend visits: a trip down Basingstoke canal
- 3 Cruise Guide | Grand Union Canal, Part 2 | Braunston to Marsworth
- 4 CRT licence fees up but widebeams pay more
- 5 Boat test: Mothership Marine’s solar-powered semi-trad
- 6 Boat test: “Oyster Catcher” the permanent house boat
- 7 Boat test: 'Whitsuntide No2' hybrid 52ft canal boat by Trinity Boats
- 8 Cruise Guide | Grand Union Canal, Part 3 | Tring summit to the Thames
- 9 Canal heritage spotter: turf-sided locks
- 10 Graham Palmer: Waterway Recovery Group memorial restored
New Inn, New Bradwell.
By Bridge 72.
Friendly local with real ale, food, waterside garden and monthly folk music sessions.
Three Locks, Soulbury.
By the locks.
Popular pub and restaurant with selection of real ales from local breweries, outdoor seating with view of the locks
By Bridge 111.
Popular food-oriented pub dating from before the canal was built. Real ale, canalside seating.
Grove Lock, Grove.
By the lock.
Popular canalside restaurant and pub converted from extended former lock house. Real ale, waterside garden.