10 of the best pubs along: Grand Union Canal, Tring to the Thames
- Credit: Martin Ludgate
Our insiders guide to 10 of the best pubs to be found along your route down the Grand Union from the Tring Summit to the Thames... check out the cruise guide here!
Angler's Retreat Startops End, Marsworth
Just west of Bridge 132.
Cosy one-room local with local real ales, good value food, garden with aviary
Grand Junction Arms, Bulbourne
By Bridge 133.
Family-friendly food oriented pub - daily home made specials, steak night (Mon), curry (Sun) - with real ale and canalside garden
Rising Sun, Berkhamsted
By Lock 55.
Traditional canal pub with multiple small rooms. Selection of real ales and ciders, bar snacks (pies and ploughmans), lockside seating
Three Horseshoes Winkwell
Historic pub pre-dating the canal with real ale, canalside patio popular in good weather, food
King's Head, Hunton Bridge
By Bridge 162.
Traditional pub converted from row of cottages, real ale, traditional pub food (including sunday roasts), waterside garden
White Bear, Church Street Rickmansworth
Just south of Bridge 81.
Recently refurbished pub with reputation for home made Indian food, real ale and patio by a backwater of the River Colne
- 1 Cruise Guide | Grand Union Canal, Part 2 | Braunston to Marsworth
- 2 Boat test: “Oyster Catcher” the permanent house boat
- 3 Moor up for a movie at Barby Moorings outdoor cinema!
- 4 4 Interior Design Ideas for Your Narrowboat
- 5 Best pubs on: the Grand Union Canal, between Birmingham & Napton
- 6 10 of the best pubs along: Grand Union Canal, Tring to the Thames
- 7 Linking Lichfield: the Lichfield Canal restoration
- 8 ‘Let boaters sleep aboard’ says CRT chief
- 9 Winifred: a 1980s hire boat refit with reclaimed wood
- 10 Stormin' Norman: singlehandedly navigating the waterways, aged 86
Coy Carp, Harefield
By Bridge 177.
Busy family-friendly food oriented pub, part of Vintage Inns, with real ale (reduction for Camra members) and waterside patio
General Eliott, Uxbridge
Near Bridge 186.
200 year old canal pub recently refurbished with new canalside covered seating. Real ale, food, music / entertainment at weekends
Malt Shovel, Cowley
By Bridge 188.
Listed 19th century pub, refurbished and now a Vintage Inns family friendly pub with real ale, food and garden
Fox, Green Lane Hanwell
020 8567 4021
Short walk along path leading off towpath just below bottom lock.
Camra award winning pub with selection of real ales, home cooked food, garden with play area