New 50-berth marina on the Stratford to open 2017
- Credit: Archant
There are currently only two berths within 30 miles of the Wootton Wawen site
Work is underway to transform farmland in Wootton Wawen, in Warwickshire, into a marina for boaters on the Stratford.
Expected to open in April next year, it will have 50 berths, toilets and shower facilities and possibly a café.
It will only offer leisure moorings, and will not be provide boat hire opportunities.
The marina will be on the site of a working farm, owned by David Amor, on the Wootton side of Bridge 56 and accessed by car from the A3400.
Amor’s partner, businessman David Cooke, said: “There’s quite a big demand for this type of facility in the area.”
There are, he claims, just two berths within 30 miles, and they are for boats no longer than 34 feet.
This news comes shortly after the announcements that Cropredy Marina on the Oxford will be extended to accommodate a further 100 boats and Tewkesbury Marina on the Warwickshire Avon has got approval for another 12 moorings.
- 1 10 of the best pubs along: Grand Union Canal, Tring to the Thames
- 2 4 Interior Design Ideas for Your Narrowboat
- 3 Uttoxeter Canal restoration back on; development plans rejected!
- 4 The waterways heritage spotter: narrow gauge railway tracks
- 5 Updated canal boat licence conditions introduced June 2021
- 6 Stretching your narrow boat: process and advice
- 7 Winifred: a 1980s hire boat refit with reclaimed wood
- 8 Boat test: “Oyster Catcher” the permanent house boat
- 9 ‘Let boaters sleep aboard’ says CRT chief
- 10 Hints and tips for outboard boats
You may also like: