Discounted tickets available for Dudley Tunnel and limestone mines
- Credit: Archant
See in the New Year by exploring 18th-century engineering marvels and a history dating back 428 million years
The Dudley Canal & Tunnel Trust is offering discounted rates for its 45-minute trips, beginning on Monday, 16 January.
Tickets will cost £3, which saves £3.95, and prices will remain low in February (£4.50) and March (£5.50). Children under three go for free and visitors able to gift aid will receive a return ticket valid for the rest of the year.
The boat trip journeys into the engineering wonders of the 18th-century that are the 2,888-metre Dudley Tunnel and spectacular limestone mines.
It features on-board commentary, a music and light show in the Singing Cavern, a video show explaining how limestone was formed in Little Tess Cavern and displays of miners at work in Hurst Cavern.
Trips run from 10.30am to 3pm. There is no need to book.
The Trust, which saved the tunnel from dereliction, has recently opened a new £3 million visitor centre, The Portal, with an interactive exhibition, gift shop and waterside restaurant to enjoy.
Sarah Fellows, Heritage Activities Officer, said: “We hope these specially discounted tickets will encourage many new people to visit the tunnels to marvel at these incredible limestone caverns carved by man.”
- 1 Fire-damaged lock keepers cottage on Oxford Canal up for sale!
- 2 Boat test: “Oyster Catcher” the permanent house boat
- 3 Brand new boating show for 2022: BoatLife Live!
- 4 Waterways adventure: Navigating the Ribble Link
- 5 Canal heritage spotter: narrow gauge railway tracks
- 6 10 of the best pubs along: the Rivers Lee and Stort
- 7 Cruise guide: Birmingham Canal Navigations Main Line
- 8 Cruise Guide | Rivers Lee and Stort
- 9 Stretching your narrow boat: process and advice
- 10 5 stunning narrowboat holiday routes in the UK
The Trust also offers longer trips, including a two-hour tour of the Tunnel and a six-hour voyage through the Black Country, taking in both Dudley and Netherton Tunnels.
You may also like: