Car pushed into a canal in front of appalled owners
- Credit: Archant
“It was weird – it just rolled straight in and started bobbing on the water… he calmly trotted back to his car and roared off”
Mark Bowen and his wife were walking their two dogs along the canal at Chirk, near Wrexham – as they do every evening – when they decided it was a bit too cold to carry on.
They turned back and headed back to their red Citroen C1, which they could see in the distance. “I noticed there was a man standing nearby but didn’t give it much thought,” Mr Bowen, 61, has been reported as saying.
“As I looked back at my car it seemed to be at a strange angle and then I realised it was moving and this bloke was pushing it.”
The shocked Mr Bowen ran towards his car and shouting at the man to stop, but it was too late. “It was weird – it just rolled straight in and started bobbing on the water.” The Citroen submerged, while the perpetrator “calmly trotted” back to his own car and left.
Police are appealing for any information about the mindless act, which happened at 4.30pm on Thursday, 5 January, by the bridge at Chirk Bank. The man is described as being around 5ft 9 and drove a brown-coloured car. Mr Bowen is also looking for a couple walking two cocker spaniels at the time.
Anyone with information should call 101 and quote incident number V002128.
- 1 Second-hand canal boats for sale
- 2 Boat test: 'Whitsuntide No2' hybrid 52ft canal boat by Trinity Boats
- 3 ‘Let boaters sleep aboard’ says CRT chief
- 4 10 pubs on the River Wey Navigation
- 5 Boat test: Mothership Marine’s solar-powered semi-trad
- 6 5 stunning narrowboat holiday routes in the UK
- 7 Ask the experts: My narrowboat is damp and stained
- 8 CRT licence fees up but widebeams pay more
- 9 YouTubers are first to complete IWA Silver Propeller Challenge
- 10 Boat test: “Oyster Catcher” the permanent house boat
You may also like: