Bubbles and boats at Banbury Canal Day
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people will bring the Oxford Canal to life with an entertaining family day celebrating the town’s waterway heritage on Sunday 2 October
The free, fun and friendly Banbury Canal Day has grown in popularity year after year, with boaters, traders, crafters and lovers of the waterways descending on the town from all over the country.
Boats, bridges and towpaths will all be decorated in keeping with this year’s theme – bubbles. It makes for a picturesque stroll along the Oxford, especially in the autumn sunshine.
Tooley’s boatyard will be open for the day, displaying boats and engines and giving people the opportunity to watch a blacksmith hard at work.
At Spiceball Park, visitors can enjoy live music from local bands during the day, or head to Banbury Museum and the Mill Arts Centre, which are putting on entertainment and activities. And to get from place to place, hop on a water taxi and see the sights of the day from the water.
With charity stalls, a craft fair, falconry displays and a funfair, the Canal Day is great for pottering.
Compton Road Food Court will be offering a variety of appetising bites, which can all be washed down with ale from Hook Norton Brewery.
Banbury Canal Day is free and runs from 10.30am to 4.30pm this Sunday, 2 October.
- 1 Fire-damaged lock keepers cottage on Oxford Canal up for sale!
- 2 Boat test: “Oyster Catcher” the permanent house boat
- 3 Brand new boating show for 2022: BoatLife Live!
- 4 Narrowboat Living: Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 Restoring & reopening the Wendover Arm of Grand Union Canal
- 6 5 stunning narrowboat holiday routes in the UK
- 7 Linking Lichfield: the Lichfield Canal restoration
- 8 Cruise guide: the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal
- 9 10 of the best pubs along: Severn and Gloucester & Sharpness canal
- 10 Boat test: 'Whitsuntide No2' hybrid 52ft canal boat by Trinity Boats
Also this weekend: