Helpful hints for boat owners
PUBLISHED: 09:55 23 February 2015 | UPDATED: 15:08 27 February 2015
Owning a boat offers the ultimate escapism - but also some real issues for boat owners too!
A range of really helpful hints has been put together by the boat insurance specialists, Haven Knox-Johnston. Topics range from vital information about keeping yourself safe on the water to ensuring your boat itself is properly protected from the worst of the winter weather. There are also plenty of useful tips about buying and selling a boat, how to moor correctly and protecting your boat from theft.
There are some really thought provoking subjects and even the topic of boat insurance reminds us why it’s important to have the right cover.
Boating should be fun… but can prove very expensive if you’re not properly protected:
● Many marinas and all inland waterways require that you are insured before you can launch or moor.
● Even if your boat is of little value and you’re prepared to take the risk of its loss, it can still cause serious and expensive damage to other people, other boats or property.
● Third party cover protects you against potential financially crippling personal injury or damage claims which can bankrupt anyone uninsured.
● Insurance can protect you against the major costs to recover even a small boat if it sinks on a mooring or in a harbour.
● Your motor insurance doesn’t cover damage to your boat if it’s trailered. Check that you’re covered for towing.
● Insurance can be tailored to ensure you get precisely the protection you need without paying for cover you don’t want. A specialist boat insurer (http://www.boatinsure.co.uk) or broker will be best placed to help you.
● Taking a boat abroad often requires compulsory insurance. Check the requirements of your destination.
● Boat insurance can also cover you against loss or theft of personal possessions whilst on board.
● If you require finance to help fund the purchase of a boat, your bank will want to be satisfied that you have appropriate insurance.
● If you’re thinking of buying a boat you can arrange insurance well in advance to avoidany last minute hitches.
Request your FREE HavenHints booklet online at www.boat-zone.com/haven-hints-booklet - you will find plenty of news, stories and video - including Exploring the beauty of the Caledonian Canal.
If it’s boat insurance you’re after then contact Haven Knox-Johnston’s friendly team on 01732 223650 or simply go online at www.boatinsure.co.uk.