Types of canal boat
Types of canal boat
By their very nature, canal boats are similar inside – but layouts differ and generally the longer the boat is the more berths (beds) you get.
What can make a difference to your holiday (and the price) is the boat's star rating, so here we've explained the system to help you decide what level of boating holiday you want.
So what do the Star Ratings for boats actually mean? Well, Britain's official tourist authority, VisitBritain, sends independent assessors to every boat and hire-base participating in this scheme. They award a ‘star rating’ from one to five telling you what to expect when you pick up the boat. The higher the rating, the higher the overall level of quality and comfort. These are the definitions:One StarAcceptable overall level of quality. Clean craft with good standards of customer care, adequate provision and quality of furtniture, furnishings and fittings. Television available. Galley equipped to meet all essential needs. Pricing and conditions of booking made clear and information available to help you make the most of your stay.Two StarAs One Star plus: good overall level of quality and customer care in all areas. Radio fitted.Three StarAs Two Star plus: very good overall level of quality. Good standard of maintenance and decoration with a good quality and range of furniture, furnishings and fittings. More space available. Colour TV available and lighting for each berth.Four StarAs Three Star plus: excellent overall level of quality. Very good level of care and attention to detail with higher comfort levels provided for guests. Maximum of two persons sleeping in cabins.Five StarAs Four Star plus: exceptional overall level of quality. Highest level of decor, fixtures and fittings. Excellent standard of management efficiency and guest care. Wider range of accessories, saloon/living area separate from sleeping cabin. 240 volts AC electrical power supply available.
- 1 Second-hand canal boats for sale
- 2 Boat test: 'Whitsuntide No2' hybrid 52ft canal boat by Trinity Boats
- 3 10 of the best pubs along: Grand Union Canal, Braunston to Marsworth
- 4 10 pubs on the River Wey Navigation
- 5 ‘Let boaters sleep aboard’ says CRT chief
- 6 5 stunning narrowboat holiday routes in the UK
- 7 YouTubers are first to complete IWA Silver Propeller Challenge
- 8 Cruise Guide | Grand Union Canal, Part 2 | Braunston to Marsworth
- 9 Restoring & reopening the Wendover Arm of Grand Union Canal
- 10 Best pubs on: the Grand Union Canal, between Birmingham & Napton