We found out about Paul’s “lock and roll” life
1. Where have your recent adventures taken you?
In the past 12 months I have been privileged to have performed my Elvis tribute show in Memphis & Georgia USA, Spain, Germany, Switzerland and Sweden as well as UK venues.
2. Where are you based these days?
I am based in Crewe in Cheshire
3. How long were you in the Navy?
I was in the Navy for eight years.
4. Hence your love of the water?
Yes, being based inland I have been drawn towards canal boats but my first love of being on the water came from my time in the Royal Navy.
5. Have you ever fallen in?
No! But as a teenager I spent many hours participating in a few beers at the Bridge Inn, Audlem which led to me jumping off the bridge into the canal. I suppose you could call it falling in with style!
6. What lead you to the music of Elvis?
As a child, I remember my elder brothers and my father listening to him on their LPs.
7. Have you visited Graceland?
Yes, I have visited Graceland twice in 2007 and in 2017. I performed there on both occasions.
8. What are your current projects?
I am currently working on my boat and the mooring and always looking for new material for the show to make it more entertaining.
9. How did you go down with the Royal Family?
I performed for the Royal family on three separate occasions. The first time was with my ukulele banjo performing George Formby songs. This was on board the Royal Yacht Britannia and was a very personal performance as I was stood at the end of the Royal dining table so it was just me and the Royal family. The George Formby songs went down extremely well with the Queen. On the other two occasions, I performed Elvis songs, however, I re-wrote the lyrics using a mixture of naval terminology and cheeky humour, Prince Philip and Prince Andrew were highly amused as they could relate to this Naval banter
10. Are you a permanent liveaboard?
11. Any regrets leaving the rat race?
Not at all, I love the canal life
12. Do you have a favourite Presley number?
I don’t have a favourite Elvis song as there are too many good ones to choose from, however, I am drawn to his Country and Gospel music.
13. What are your fondest memories on the cut?
My fondest memories are those drinking cold beers on hot sunny days with my friends and family.
14. What do you think of people on the water?
The majority of people on the water are very friendly.
15. What is your proudest achievement?
My proudest achievement are my two daughters.
16. What would you like to see happen to the waterways in your lifetime?
I would like to see the waterways preserved and maintained so that future generations can enjoy and appreciate our glorious and historic canal network.
17. What is your current boat?
My current boat is a 55ft semi-trad called Argonaut
18. What did you want to be aged 12?
I wanted to be a fireman like my Dad was.
19. Where in Britain would you most like to sail next?
I would most like to sail to Liverpool.
20. What would your superpower be?