10 photos that show why the Canal du Midi should be your next cruise destination
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The 300 year old Canal du Midi was once considered to be one of the greatest works of construction of the 17th century. This beautiful canal stretches along sun-soaked shores of the Mediterranean before meandering inland through vineyards and ancient villages. It is known internationally for its breathtaking scenery, we’ve chosen 10 photos to show you exactly why the Midi should be your next cruise destination.
Pretty waterside villages…
Pristine blue skies and stunning weather
Spend the day in sun-drenched vineyards, tasting the wines of the Languedoc region
Wonderful waterside restaurants and local markets to explore
Steeped in stunning history and heritage, you’ll see cathedrals, ancient ruins and medieval cities.
It’s the perfect place for walking or cycling on the scenic towpaths…
- 1 Halloween on the canal: spooky 2021 events for boaters
- 2 Boat test: 'Whitsuntide No2' hybrid 52ft canal boat by Trinity Boats
- 3 The waterways heritage spotter: narrow gauge railway tracks
- 4 Best pubs on: the Grand Union Canal, between Birmingham & Napton
- 5 Weekend visits: a trip down Basingstoke canal
- 6 Boat test: “Oyster Catcher” the permanent house boat
- 7 10 of the best pubs along: the Rivers Lee and Stort
- 8 Cruise Guide | Grand Union Canal, Part 1 | Birmingham to Napton
- 9 Linking Lichfield: the Lichfield Canal restoration
- 10 Updated canal boat licence conditions introduced June 2021
Or just enjoy watching the scenery pass by as you relax on deck.
And if you’re lucky, catch a sunset.