10 photos that show why the Canal du Midi should be your next cruise destination
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The 300 year old Canal du Midi was once considered to be one of the greatest works of construction of the 17th century. This beautiful canal stretches along sun-soaked shores of the Mediterranean before meandering inland through vineyards and ancient villages. It is known internationally for its breathtaking scenery, we’ve chosen 10 photos to show you exactly why the Midi should be your next cruise destination.
Pretty waterside villages…
Pristine blue skies and stunning weather
Spend the day in sun-drenched vineyards, tasting the wines of the Languedoc region
Wonderful waterside restaurants and local markets to explore
Steeped in stunning history and heritage, you’ll see cathedrals, ancient ruins and medieval cities.
It’s the perfect place for walking or cycling on the scenic towpaths…
- 1 Second-hand canal boats for sale
- 2 10 pubs on the River Wey Navigation
- 3 Boat test: Mothership Marine’s solar-powered semi-trad
- 4 Linking Lichfield: the Lichfield Canal restoration
- 5 Ask the experts: My narrowboat is damp and stained
- 6 Canal heritage spotter: turf-sided locks
- 7 Grantham Canal Lock 15 opening looks to the future
- 8 ‘Let boaters sleep aboard’ says CRT chief
- 9 The waterways heritage spotter: narrow gauge railway tracks
- 10 Stretching your narrow boat: process and advice
Or just enjoy watching the scenery pass by as you relax on deck.
And if you’re lucky, catch a sunset.